Thursday, April 22, 2010

“Your final destination” and other horrors


During my 43-year career as a professional writer, I have traveled more than a million miles by commercial air. In my experience, most airline people are considerate and polite (or they were, until 2001). However, I have always been mildly irritated by the inanity of the scripts they follow, especially by the expression, “your final destination.”

Recently I was reading an article written by a writer-editor-trainer-coach whom I admire: Daphne Gray-Grant. The post was about that stupid expression, “your final destination.” She was a fellow sufferer!

But unlike me, Daphne had carefully thought out – and described in detail – her disdain for the expression. She wrote what I had thought, and more. And better.

I had been planning to write a post about the expression “your final destination.” I am crossing that item off my to-do list and referring you to Daphne’s article on the topic.

By the way, Daphne is a fine role model and source of advice for writers. I love her writing and speaking style: thoughtful, humble, direct, and quietly compelling. And lively but not cutesy.

She is especially helpful with techniques for greater productivity. So if you are working to improve the quality or quantity of your writing, subscribe to Daphne’s weekly newsletter. It’s free.

The Takeaway: As I have said repeatedly on this blog, keep learning from people who know what they’re talking about. Add Daphne Gray-Grant to your list of people to learn from.

No comments:

Post a Comment